Forums » The Coaching Corner

Why be Healthy? Ask why first to be successful

• May 1, 2017 3:23 PM EDT

Why do you want to create a healthy lifestyle? If you don’t understand why you want to make a change, it is difficult to start. Without any momentum you quickly lose motivation because you don’t see any results.

Just because "you should" or are "supposed to" eat healthy or exercise, is a weak basis for creating lasting change. Instead, consider internal motivation. Here are some examples that may provide you a stronger reason for making change:  I want to have more energy. I want to feel better. I want to be able to play with my kids or grandkids.

If you are unsure of why change is important to you, try asking yourself better questions.

Here are some questions to ask yourself about why you are making time for self-care: 

• What do I expect from making healthy changes? 
    • Why is it important to me to feel good?
    • What has stopped me in the past from sticking to healthy goals?
    • Who can I ask to support me in these changes?
    • What behavior(s) or habit(s) are hurting me?
    • What are my sources of joy?
    • Why would I bother to be healthy?
    • What happens if I do nothing?

Once you have a clear idea of why you want to feel healthy, write it out and post it somewhere you will see every day. Read your “why” statement everyday ... out loud.

Sounds a little corny to do this, right? The reason to read this out loud is to reaffirm to your commitment every day. That alone is a powerful force and it sends a strong message to your brain that your actions need to match your thoughts.

Create a strategy or road map for change.

Start only with changes that you are willing to act on. Taking small actions builds your belief in moving towards success.

Momentum begins the day you start making small changes. Motivation comes with doing things you like and enjoying the process. So no matter how small your first step, use that momentum to build motivation towards your healthy goals. Coaching support can kick start the process and suppport your momentum in reaching your healthy lifestyle goal.