Forums » Behavior

Dog Shaming and the "Guilty Look"

• August 12, 2015 3:06 PM EDT

Do dogs know right from wrong? Some dog owners think so based on their pet's "guilty look." Or could it be that the "guilty look" is in response to the cues or negative reactions of their owner? For example, let's say that a dog eats a piece of ham that he was commanded not to eat. After the misdeed is done, will the dog know he's done something wrong and feel guilty about it? Next, let's say that the owner left the room and, upon returning, discovered the ham missing. Would his owner be correct in believing that it was the dog that did (or did not) consume the ham based on the presence (or absence) a pet's “guilty look?"

Dog shaming has recently been the buzz of the internet. Photos and videos of "shamed" pets tend to be entertaining - observing the body language, facial expressions, and inference that the dog knows that he or she has done something wrong. Although most of these are fun and cute, shaming dogs with true problem behaviors, and/or scolding a pet that "looks guilty," can adversely impact the human-animal bond and the learning capability of the pet.

If a dog really knows that he is guilty of wrongdoing, then he should show the body language of guilt whether or not the owner scolds or reprimands him. A study was conducted to examine owners’ perceptions of their pet's guilt or innocence, and a pet's reaction to performing a "misdeed."

It's important to remember that the negative reaction of a frustrated or angry owner can be distressing and fearful to pets. Actions commonly performed when scolding or shaming such as lowering or deepening of the voice, pointing or shaking a finger, or advancing toward the dog, can be perceived as threatening to the pet. In response to this fear, pets will often display appeasing behaviors including the body language that many regard as "the guilty look." 

This week's Evidence Based Update includes the background for this study. It's available for On Demand viewing (running time 12 mins; Approved for CE credit in New York and by the NJVMA, pending approval for CE credit by AAVSB RACE).

• August 12, 2015 4:29 PM EDT

I hope you all enjoy this topic.  It's a hot one with clients!  

Reach out with questions.  I'd love to chat about this article.  

Dr C

• 1 posts
    August 13, 2015 4:10 PM EDT

Thank you for the article and the review of the study.  I enjoyed it.  I am not a fan of pet shaming, but admit there are some humorous ones that circulate.  A while back I had made a video, entitled Pet Promoting.  The video was meant to serve as awareness for why a pet might have done something for which they end up "shamed".  If anyone is interested in seeing it you can click here.

I will be using this information to share with caregivers.  I think the paragraph under the video is absolutely a wonderful way to explain the behavior many owners think of as guilt.  It is nice to see research in this area.  I will have to pull the original study and read it for myself. 

• August 13, 2015 4:27 PM EDT

Hi Tara,

What a fun video!  We should totally start a fad of pet promoting.  ;)   Love it!  

Dr C

• 2 posts
    August 13, 2015 5:24 PM EDT

Thanks for this article, Dr. Christensen. A subject near and dear to my heart.

A few of us started a trend of "Dog Faming" a couple of years back (interesting that it is much harder to get off the ground than Dog Shaming!). There are a couple of Facebook groups:

https://www.facebook.com/DogFaming

https://www.facebook.com/Gooddogfaming

and I have a blog post where I encouraged people to start taking stills or vids of their dogs doing braggable things. 

Dog Faming: Eileenanddogs

I love Tara's video! Going to post it on the Dog Faming Facebook group.

• August 16, 2015 7:53 PM EDT

Hi Eileen,

Thanks so much for the feedback.  I can't wait to look at the Facebook groups.  There are so many wonderful resources in social networking for people that are working with unruly behaviors (normal dog behaviors that people don't like) and for those with really worrying behaviors (like those due to fear, anxiety, panic, impulse control, compulsive behaviors, etc.  etc.).  People like you and Tara are a huge help for veterinarians.

Thanks for all you do!  

Dr C

• 2 posts
    August 23, 2015 8:49 AM EDT

Thanks, Dr. Christensen!

Here's a good piece on the subject from ABC in Australia. Wouldn't it be great if the right message spread among the media?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-23/dog-shaming-falls-on-deaf-ears-for-canines/6715932

• August 23, 2015 7:40 PM EDT

Hey Eileen!  Thanks for sending this link.  Great article.  :)  Just put a link to your dog faming info on facebook.  So much more fun than the shaming gig.  

Dr C