Forums » Behavior

Sound Desensitization

• 406 posts
    April 28, 2015 10:28 PM EDT

A question from an attendee of the Disorders of Anxiety, Fear, and Panic event:

I am a trainer and would like to know further why you think sound desensitization is the "lazy way" to deal with that particular fear.

• April 28, 2015 10:41 PM EDT

Oops! I didn't mean it to sound that way. Sound desensitization isn't lazy. It's the process of doing it at meal times that makes it lazy. I love lazy. Lazy = efficient in my mind. Clients like efficient. Dogs like efficient because they feel better faster. There are other harder ways to do sound desensitization than doing the work at meal times AND meal times are not appropriate b. mod sessions for all dogs though.  

I hope that answers your question, but be sure to let me know if it doesn't!  :)

Dr C

• 1 posts
    April 29, 2015 12:32 AM EDT

I probably missed that part about "during meal time." I actually find that any b. modification during actual family meal times is not the best time, most of the time (there is always the exception), as the client cannot really focus on their dog and the training, they are having dinner after all :) So. setting up mock situations, dining included, in a less stressful environment for all, is one of my strategies, thus my original question. You have provoked me to re-evalute my perception of lazy vs. efficient.  

• April 29, 2015 8:26 AM EDT

Hi Harrie, Totally! Human meal time is not such a great time to train. I meant during the animal's normal meal time. :) Dr C