Forums » The Coaching Corner

Step Out of your Comfort Zone

• October 10, 2014 3:33 PM EDT

Once in a while it is a good thing to be uncomfortable. I am the first to admit that I like to plan ahead and do not like surprises. I am the type of person who orders the same sandwich at the local deli, and I like to know the expected outcomes before I start a project.

So, why do I suggest that stepping out into the great unknown is good for you? First - there is no opportunity for learning if you stay within your comfortable zone and only focus on your areas of expertise. Nothing new can be learned if you do the same things over and over again. How do you come to know that you have a fear of heights unless you get to a cliff trail and look down? How do you know if you could be a leader unless you are willing to step up into that role? When you extend yourself into new territory, you give yourself an opportunity to learn something about yourself that will instill a new sense of confidence in your abilities and capabilities.  There is a surge of confidence when you attempt something difficult and new. Especially if you consider that failure is just another means for learning.

So, consider where you could step out from your comfort zone and learn something new in the months remaining of this year. If your normal leadership style is to solve all the problems and issues that come your way- try something different. The next time a staff member brings you an issue- simply ask questions- then request that they come back with some possible solutions. Now you become a person who involves others, rather than serving as the problem solver. Get others involved in finding the solution and let them sort through ideas and options. You may still be the person who ultimately makes the final decision, but this will help to defray your stress. In asking for solutions and ideas, you gather all the information needed before that decision gets made.

Be curious about what you do not know. It opens up the possibility of ongoing learning and development for you and your team.