Forums » The Coaching Corner

Are you a Leader?

• August 13, 2014 12:01 PM EDT

The old paradigm is that leadership is reserved for those in positions of power.  Thus, you can blame them for anything that is not going well for you at work.  The new reality is that leadership is a choice and not something that is assigned or given to you.

Leadership is far less about what you are doing than about who you are being. Being authentic is the first task of leadership.  What employees want is the real you, not just a person who makes or reads them the rules.

What is your definition or understanding about leadership?

Here is a definition that I like. Leadership means actively doing and applying your own best effort to achieve desired results - for you, individually, and on the part of your organization. This statement makes leadership personal. It means you are making a choice to always be learning and growing. The truth is, we all have a choice on how to respond to life and how much responsibility we take for creating a life that fits our needs. As an authentic leader, consider that your primary focus is to be very clear and specific on the results that you want.

I once had a goal of living in a cabin in the woods for a summer - I accomplished that - however, it was a KOA campground cabin with no electricity or running water. So my lesson was to be very specific in setting up future goals.

This week take a look at your specific goals as a person and as a leader. Are you clearly communicating what is important to you?  Do others know what results you expect?

If you want a desired result - put it in writing, define the "why" you want that result, then start planning to get it. The motive is important; This is what drives us towards a result. People want to know why you are requesting them to do things before they will contribute and apply themselves to helping you achieve a result - especially when a change is requested. Step up into your leadership shoes and see how it feels to be in charge of your own life again.