Forums » The Coaching Corner

Why Your New Year’s Resolution Will Fail

• January 9, 2014 6:05 AM EST

On January 1 of the New Year, everyone starts off with a clean slate - anything is possible this year.  All of the old projects, lost ideas and dropped goals get swept away by the concept of a brand new start.  I love the process of performing a year-end review and building new energy into my goals for the new year.  What I dislike are the bursts of sudden, "quick start" changes that people make because of the urgent need to make things different all at once.  Here are the three most common reasons why New Year’s Resolutions fail: 

1.  You take action with no preparation

2.  You have not considered all the consequences of change on yourself and others

3.  There is no follow up maintenance plan to monitor and adjust your new program

Here is one example. This year you determine you will stop working late. No more missed family dinners or events, you need more time for yourself. This is a great goal and one that could help balance out your life and give you more energy and satisfaction on many levels.

How to Fail                                                                                                         

1.  Announce your new schedule with no exceptions - let the front desk deal with any objections.

2.  Ignore the need to consider emergencies or exceptions for your best clients.

3.  After you set the new schedule – do not check back with anyone else to see how it is working.

How to Succeed and Prepare for Change

1.  Discuss your proposed schedule change with all staff and ask for ideas on who else this will affect and possible trouble spots or barriers.  Adjust your actions based on the information you gather from others.

2.  Give staff and clients notice of the change in policy and start this new program on a trial basis one or two days a week.

3.  Set up guidelines and open communication to get feedback on how this new schedule is working on a daily or weekly basis.

Set yourself up for success in the new year.  Plan first, prepare for a change, consider all options and take one step at a time while you monitor the results.  Need more ideas about how to set yourself up for success?  Contact me for a time to talk about how to make your New Year a year of successful change.

Warm wishes to all for a productive and fun new year!