Amaryllis

This is a pretty, bright red, long-stemmed flower that looks like the Christmas version of a Lily. This plant contains Lycorine and other toxins that, if ingested, can cause increased salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, lethargy, and tremors in pets.


Christmas Cactus
Although this plant is non-toxic, the fibrous material of this plant can lead to vomiting and diarrhea due to the mechanical irritation it can cause to the stomach and the esophagus.

 

Holly

The leaves and berries from the Holly plant contain saponins or soap-like chemicals known as glycosides that can cause gastrointestinal upset and lethargy if consumed.


Mistletoe

Mistletoe contains several toxins including pharatoxin, viscumin, and oxalbumin. Ingestion of the berries or leaves can cause severe gastrointestinal upset, low blood pressure and heart rate, and even neurologic signs like unusual behavior or sudden collapse.  


Pine Tree / Christmas Tree

The beloved pine tree has fragile needles that fall on to the floor - so conveniently for your pet to consume. The mechanism of the toxin is unknown but, when consumed by your pet, it can cause gastrointestinal upset and lethargy. The water for your tree can be even more toxic by harboring harmful forms of bacteria, mold, and residual fertilizers. A few sips can make your pet extremely ill.


If your pet has been exposed or suspected of being exposed to these harmful plants, contact your veterinarian or a veterinary emergency hospital.  Need a vet?  Click here to find one